Monday, August 31, 2009

its wishy washy time again...



well nora and i challenged each other to try darker skin tones this week, on our wishy washy challenge, in painting friends!!..both our painting attempts lately, have been a bit weak in the dark value areas.. so we got a neat photo from wc.. called namibian girl.. offered by patrick hedges.. thank you patrick!!

we were going to try and do this in chas reid style.. (so much for that !!! LOL) this is my third attempt and might try again, but time was up for our challenge.. i used only three colors.. fu marine blue, quin burnt orange and a bit of perm. aliz crimson for jacket and lips...

it looks better on here, than in person!!! i like lots about it .. but i can also see room for improvement too!!

back to the painting easel!! tee hee .. have a good one!!

ps always open for critiques and suggestions.. thanks!!

25 comments:

Cyndy Carstens said...

Hello Cindi, I found your blog from Liz Holm's blog. I am guessing from your comment that you too care for a loved one with dementia. Same here. My mother lives with us and I find new challenges in caring for her every day. Finding time to paint and keep up with my friends here is challenging in itself.
You did a nice job with the shadows and reflected light in your painting. Keep up the good work. Cyndy

Cindi said...

hey thanks cyndy.. nice name!!!LOL

yes hubby had beenn diagnosed with early onset alzheimers.. have been noticing probllems for about 8 years but diagnoses was 2 years ago and im beginging to see us head down that path farther, each day!!

sorry that you are dealing with this as well... glad you are trying to keep a life for yourself.. they say that its very important, but dang its hard... plese stop by often.. big hugs!!

Cyndy Carstens said...

Hello Cindi,
Thank you for the support. I am so sorry to hear about your husband. I take care of my mother, which is hard, but I don't know I would handle things if it was my soulmate who was sick. My heart goes out to you. Through it all, keep on painting - you will find some comfort there. Peace, Cyndy

debwardart said...

Kudos for your effort - portraits are HARD (I always tell people there is a reason some people specialize in portraiture! - and I ain't one of 'em!!)
Sorry to learn about your husband - hang in there.

RH Carpenter said...

Cindi, this is a super portrait! Love how you got darks without muddy colors and kept the colors simple with the brightness in the clothing. I would wash a bit of dirty water over her right eye white so it tones down a bit - but that's just my opinion to keep the light really on her left side. Super work! So sorry to hear what you are going through and I hope you do keep stealing time for yourself with painting, blogging, enjoying little things :)

Cindi said...

hey ladies.. thanks for stopping by..

cyndy.. yes painting is my saving grace at times.. cant not think abuot what you are doing when painting or trash can here i come!!! LOL its like a mini vacation!!
thanks deb.. yep its not easy.. but im going to comcur it.. or it me.. its about 50/50 right now!!! LOL

thanks rhonda.. a litle dirty water.. i can do and agree!!! those whites are shining a bit too bright on that side and thanks for your good wishes..

Christiane Kingsley said...

Hi Cindi,
Two of the many things that I find very difficult in watercolor are darks and portraits: you managed both extremely well in this painting!Congratulations.

Take care. You are blessed with a super sense of humor that will see you through a lot of adversity.

Christiane

Deb Townsend said...

Whoa girlfriend! Fantastic! You're really getting better and better at these!

And you know I'm praying for you. {{{}}}

Cindi said...

christiane.. what a sweetie to stop by.. thanks for your good thoughts and nice comments.. see i told you blogging was fun.. now if you could just figure out how to lose the job!!! LOL

deb thanks.. it was fun.. i really want to get this.. nora is about to stangle me, if we do one more portrait.. hee hee!! so we are doing a figure this week!! her choice or was it?? LOL

Silvia Williams Paints Watercolors said...

Ciindi, I love your painting of the black girl. You have done a great job. One of your best paintings. Silvia

Cindi said...

hey silvia.. thank you sooooooooooo much!!! i really enjoyed the struggle to get there..i think! LOL might try her again for the 4th time, using a freer looser method.. again thanks for the super nice comment!!

L.Holm said...

Hi - Glad Cyndy popped over and said hello.

I like this! Amazing job for so few colors!

Cindi said...

hi liz... im glad she did too!! sad we are all going thru this, but comforted to know that i have found some others that can relate...

thank you for you nice comment also.. our goal was younger, older with wrinkles and folks with darker skin tones.. so now guess we can start over again.. hee hee.. dont read this nora!! LOL

thanks again liz.. hugs

Fábio Cembranelli said...

Great work..it's hard to paint figures! I admire your technique! Hope you're okay1

Cindi said...

hey fabio..how have you been?? .. mr busy wonderful artist.. thank you for the nice comment and i'm okay~~ thanks for asking!! :)

norapaints@blogspot.com said...

Well Cindi,here I am. I think you did an outstanding job on our little girl. Love how your colors flow into each other. This was a challenge for both of us.

Cindi said...

yippee.. it only took you a few months..lol i think you'll have fun.. now we can blog together!! what shall we do first??

thanks for the nice comment.. and yes you are right a challenge indeed.. might try her again another time.. or not!!! LOL

welcome to the blog world!!!!

Kathy Wirth said...

I like this portrait! The skin tone on the forehead is luscious and the hair is really nice. I am another one who avoids doing portraits, so kudos!

PS I saw my both father and my father-in-law suffer through Alzheimer's, so I know a bit about it. I'm so sorry this is happening to your husband...

Cindi said...

thanks kathy.. i really want to figure these out.. so i keep pushing.. one of these days i'll hopefully.. GET IT!!

sorry about your dad's!! yes i think this might be a rough ride.. going to just take it day to day or i'd be really overwhelmed!! thanks for your kind words!!

Candy said...

Hi, Cindi. I love this painting. As usual, you did a terrific job.

I'm sorry about your husband's illness.

Cindi said...

hey candy, thanks for stopping by .. bet its hot in vegas right now... whoa!!... i know its hot here!! stay kool and hope you can stop by again ~~~

Rosemary said...

I'm slow getting here but have to let you know I love this little girl! The contrast from very dark to very light in the skin tones is wonderful! I agree re toning down the whites of the eyes...otherwise...SUPER!!! Congrats! I, too, am so sorry to hear about your husband. You know we are here for you!

Cindi said...

hey rosemary youre not slow.. youve been really busy winning blue ribbons for your fantastic paintings... woo hooo!! thanks for the good thoughts!!

Stephie Butler said...

Cindi.....Finally finding time to catch up here. Wow your portraits sure have come a long way..This is so well done... I too find dark skin a bit difficult, but I have fallen in love with painting portraits. I do agree with toning down the whites of both eyes and the teeth a touch. I always put a greyish blue wash along the top of the ye under the upper lid and a bit in the corners. Look forward to seeing more of your work....

Hope your doing ok, and the family too.Think of you often...

Stephie

Cindi said...

hey new gramma.. i bet you are having so much fun with that beautiful new little girl and her handsome brother.. no wonder you have been busy!! fun busy!!! woo hooo!! thanks for stopping by and for your advice..
hugs..
xxx